Resources for Hoarding
By Gail Adams
Note: Due to COVID-19 some services may be suspended or moved online.
Click on the blue links for websites
Hoarding Support Groups (Montreal)
• AMI-Quebec: online on Google Meet, 514-486-1448
◦ Once a month, English.
• ESPAC: CLSC Verdun, 400 de l’Eglise, rm 350, 514-933-7541 (58442)
◦ Monthly, French.
• Le Rebond: 6510 St. Vallier, 438-404-9909
◦ Monthly, French.
Hoarding Workshops (Montreal)
• Hoard No More! Email Gail Adams: email@example.com
22 week workshop in English (facilitated self-help).
• La Maison Grise de Montreal: 514-722-0009 (ext 204)
12 week workshop in French for women only.
Community Services and Professional Help
• You can call AMI-Quebec (514-486-1448) to find out what community services are available in your area. It can be very helpful to have an intervenant or social worker that you see weekly for emotional support, even if they are not experienced with hoarding.
• Other services may be available through your CLSC.
• You can also search online for:
Professional organizers who specialize in chronic disorganization.
Psychotherapists who provide psychotherapy for hoarding.
Books On Hoarding (English)
• The Hoarder In You, 2011, Dr. Robin Zasio
• Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things, 2011, Gail Steketee, Randy O. Frost
• Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding 2nd edition, 2013, David Tolin, Randy O. Frost, Gail Steketee
• Digging Out: Helping Your Loved One Manage Clutter, Hoarding, and Compulsive Acquiring, 2009, Michael A. Tompkins, Tamara L. Hartl
• * NEW Conquer the Clutter: Strategies to Identify, Manage, and Overcome Hoarding, 2019, Elaine Birchall, Suzanne Cronkwright
• * NEW Hoarding Disorder Help: 15 Minimalist Steps to Help You Declutter, 2020, Milton Harrison
• * NEW Reclaim Your Life From Hoarding: Practical Strategies for Decluttering Your Home, Organizing Your Space, and Freeing Yourself, 2020, Eileen Dacey
* Disclaimer: These are new books that I have not yet read, but look promising.
Other Helpful Books
• Self-Compassion, 2011, Kristin Neff, PhD
• Self-Esteem 3rd edition, 2000, Matthew McKay, PhD & Patrick Fanning
◦ Topics include the internal critic, self-assessment, thinking distortions, compassion, handling mistakes, setting goals, visualization, core beliefs.
• Thoughts & Feelings 4th edition, 2011, Matthew McKay, PhD, Martha Davis, PhD & Patrick Fanning
◦ 20 techniques for thinking distortions, relaxation, mindfulness, values, exposure, core beliefs, problem solving, and much more.
• Mind and Emotions, 2011, Matthew McKay, PhD, Patrick Fanning, & Patricia Zurita Ona, PsyD
◦ Looks at 7 problematic styles people use to handle their emotions.
• Borderline Personality Disorder For Dummies, 2009, Charles H. Elliot, PhD, Laura L. Smith, PhD
◦ A lot of good, easy to read information on impulsiveness, managing emotions, identity problems, and core beliefs.
© Gail Adams Nov. 2020 2